A History of Quality Care
Being a community hospital means providing care to generations of families. It means being a place where personal connections are part of every treatment plan. This approach to healthcare has been part of Wayne County since 1899, with Newark-Wayne Community Hospital emerging to become the primary care provider for more than 92,000 residents.
As part of Rochester Regional Health’s Eastern Region, Newark-Wayne Community Hospital is a 120-bed acute care hospital that offers a full range of services including cardiology, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopaedics, pulmonary care, as well as an innovative telemedicine program. We also offer rehabilitative and long-term care through the DeMay Living Center, and we are proud to be a WHO Baby-Friendly hospital and a New York State-designated Stroke Center.
Milestones in Care
|1921||Newark Hospital established by father and son doctors George and Edwin York, on the corner of Mason and West Miller Streets|
|1953||A group of 14 physicians purchase the hospital and temporarily name it the “Doctor’s Hospital,” while plans for a modern hospital come together|
|1957||Newark Hospital is reborn as Newark-Wayne Community Hospital, giving the community an up-to-date healthcare facility|
|2013||New Emergency Department opens as part of the Transforming Care campaign|
|2014||Newark-Wayne becomes an official Rochester Regional Health affiliate|
|2017||Dedication of a new patient access center and main entrance|
We now have a choice: we can continue to make incremental improvements to our facilities so that the next generation benefits from a more robust hospital, or we can work together and make big changes that create a stronger hospital for today’s community. Our patient rooms and our surgical facilities are two areas where much needed support can dramatically transform the quality of a patient’s stay and their care.
A YEAR AT NEWARK-WAYNE